Friday, February 24, 2006

Russian Food

If I come back from my time in Russia just a slip of a girl (ha! Idiom) then do not be surprised. On the days when I don't get cooked for at home or invited to someone's house (which is very rare I'm afraid to tell you) I have the daunting task of cooking for myself. Until this point I had tried to steer clear (idiom!) of any food I was familiar with, wanting to whole heartedly jump into the Russian way of life, and embrace the culture. I bought pilmeni and....., uh, well that's it really. I'm now officially a hater of this food, these dough balls filled with unidentifiable meat, or horrible meat as I'd like to classify it. The meat that they put in dog food probably. But it's a Russian dish and it's just about the only Russian dish that I can buy without having to ask at a counter - unless you count the typical Russian biscuits and cakes that I've been surviving on. So, I decided to chuck my principals out the window (idiom!) and I stocked up on baked beans, damn the Russian food! Now don't get me wrong - if someone else cooks it or if you go out for food it's just fine. I don't want to get caught saying bad things about the food - these Russians are very defensive y'know. I have to go now as I've just told somebody here what I'm writing about and they've become very defensive and are now giving me a lecture on Russian food and how good it is!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally irrelevant news....
I went to see "the boy least likley to" last night, at night and day. flippin marvellous they were!
The arctic monkeys won 3 NME awards (and my brother got to go to the ceremony - git) - best single, best new band and best band.
Son Of Dork were worst band, James Blunt worst album.
Dirty Pretty Things performed live and i liked them. Babyshambles also did acoustic "Down in Albion" and PD was good, if a little unsteady on his feet! He was also voted sexiest male, which is a mystery to me!
And Leo Sayer is number 1!!
Jus xxx

3:14 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

Cool - Leo Sayer from the 80's? I'm gutted that I'm missing Dirty Pretty Things' tour, Paul's going (git). But thanks for the update!

10:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Leo from the 80s, but with smaller hair these days. still shit though. having said that, number 1 is now Madonna - Sorry.
times move pretty fast in t'west!
x

6:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home