Friday, February 17, 2006

All talked out..

I now have over 6 hours of lessons per week with different students who only want conversational classes. Do you realise what this means? I have to find interesting things for them to talk to me aboout.
There's my two ladies who like travelling who have now told me EVERYTHING about everywhere they've ever been and why they like/dislike it. There's the teachers, with whom I am supposed to inform about British culture/ history/ politics/ law etc and then get them to talk about it. And then there's my group of young men who all like Chelsea and skiing and who don't want to talk about important things like global warming. What can I possibly talk about now? And why do none of the UK newspapers report on the Winter Olympics?? Russia have now won 5 gold medals yeeha!

It looks like Spring is here, the sky was a lovely blue colour today and the sun definitely had his hat on. The snow is slowly melting and now the indoors of all buildings are covered in muck. It will only get worse apparently, but perhaps I'll see the spring before I leave, which will be nice.

I also discovered today, in one of my conversational classes, that Vodka is not the national drink of Russia, it's summagone (don't know how you spell it, but that's how it sounds) which is basically lethal strength home made vodka type drink. It's prohibited to sell but people make it themselves (hence the calling it 'home made' duh). My ladies who were telling me about it also mentioned that they would like to invite me to their Dacha (Russians have these little wooden houses where they have a garden and grow fruit and veg and make home made vodka outside of the cities as a retreat and they're called Dachas. They're very interesting - they build them, design them themselves and they have them in a village, all different colours and shapes, it's great - the family I'm staying with have one which they took me to but we couldn't get in because the snow was half way up the gate). Where was I? Ah yes, the Dacha, so hopefully I'll get invited and I can sample the authentic Russian country life. And the Summagone haha!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it called that 'cause you're in Some agony the day after?

10:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was jb

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home