Tuesday, February 07, 2006

This weekend I have mostly....

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've written which is not, as you might imagine, because I have been sampling the delights of the local vodka and being jetted away to St Petersburg by a billionaire oil baron for the weekend. No, I've been familiarising myself with the town and reading my books and making the most of the warm weather (only -9 on Sunday). This weekend I have mostly been to the shopping centres - two of them, there's a few more still to see, and I also paid a visit to a nice coffee shop, it was very bohemian; sitting next to us were two of Tyumen's finest and most loved actors of the stage, daaaahling! They looked like very nice boys, well men, dressed like 15 year old boys. Also this weekend I finished the book I was reading, James Joyce, A Portrait... the ending of which I was particularly happy with, and I was kindly driven around the town by my landlady while she showed me all the sights, the University, the River, the Museum and the parks to name but a few. There is a nice mixture of tall modern flats in the city centre and near the river you can find small wooden cottages which are all painted in different colours, all very pretty and in summer I imagine, quite picturesque. The snow has been falling and on Saturday evening when I left work there was kind of a blizzard, although I am assured by my colleagues that it was not a blizzard but merely a bit of wind, well the wind was blowing the snow all over the place it was quite exciting. Now it seems to be cold again and the snow has stopped.

Just to change the subject back to my favourite topic - TV, I turned on the magic box yesterday and was channel hopping (I don't normally have control over the TV as the little boy is usually at the helm, but they were out and I've been told if you have cable you can get BBC News so I was looking for it) and who should I see? None other than that little monkey from Top Gear doing one of his other programmes where he gets people to test out theories... ahh, I hate him normally, but I was kind of glad to see a familiar face, and if you listen carefully you can hear the English version under the Russian dub. I couldn't find BBC news by the way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read Ulysses as well? A sort of portrait as older man.
I always figured you were "sampling the delights of the local vodka" while writing the blog, never mind when you weren't. How is the local vodka by the way? Have you seen anyone like the guy from the Smirnoff Ice adverts??

12:11 am  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

I've not tried the vodka - I'm scared to, as there is a lot of fake stuff that can, I dunno, probably scorch your throat or kill you.... I had a whisky though - it was a traditional Russian Johnski Valker.

9:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home