Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Darn Pesky Retarded Russian Technology

I've just managed to calm myself down after writing a long post for you all was eaten up by this stupid computer and it's taken about 45 minutes to get back on to the website so now I'm running out of time.... I have a lesson in 20 mins but I'll see if I can remember wot I did wrote...

It's warm here! It's -17. I don't know if you're familiar with extreme weather conditions but let me tell you that after a week of -38 it feels delightfully bearable to be stepping outside to -17! Some of the snow is even melting so you can now see, in places, where the road should be and where not to walk. The snow is no longer white either, because it's been lying there for over a week it's now grey and dirty so it doesn't look like a faity tale anymore.

I went round to my new friend's house. If we were in Knutsford and we were 12 my mum wouldn't let me go round to her house because it's on the wrong side of the tracks, it's in a Soviet style building and it made me realise how lucky I am to be living in my large spacious two storey, mod con fitted, ikea'd out town centre apartment. Although her flat is just 5 minutes walk from mine it's massively different. She kept saying 'don't be scared by my flat'. And when we went inside the building I realised why. This was a scene from a hollywood film about a serial killer. There was one light bulb flickering dimly at the end of the corridoor, the lift was in almost complete darkness save for a warm orangey/brown glow and we were surrounded by the smell of dog wee! Ok so I'm being dramatic, but it was pretty much what I'd been expecting to live in. Her flat was ok though. It was my image of poor Russian town life before I came here and turned up on the doorstep of my Palace. So it's good to see the real side of Russia instead of just this new western modern side of life that I'm exposed to on tv and on the streets of Tyumen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Georgia said...

aye - i noe exactly how it feels; to type an uber long entry only to have it gobbled up by your oh-so-dysfunctional-computer.

:) its nice reading the blog of someone who's practically half the world away.

5:45 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

yeah I seem to have overcome the technical difficulties! It's all systems go here now...

8:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home