Saturday, January 28, 2006

Adventures..

I finally made it out into the town last night when I finished work. Until that point I'd only gone as far as the post office which is about 5 minutes walk from the office. So, into Tyumen I went, and I saw some ice sculptures and some pretty lights - they still have their Christmas decorations up as they celebrate the new year all through January, so I don't know if these lights are up all year or if they're just part of the Christmas decorations but it looked very beautiful. I will take some pictures for you people and then you can see for yourself!

I also went to a department store called 'som'which was just like Debenhams but it sells traditional Russian stuff, like Russian dolls and wooden bowls. I am amazed at how women here still look so elegant even with massive fur coats on and big hats, they also wear stilletoes which is crazy, I mean it's so slippy outside, but they dig the heels into the ground and that stops them from falling over. And here I am with my massive snow boots on and a beanie hat and a huge coat that I've borrowed, not looking elegant in the slightest! In fact, one of the teachers here said I look like a bear! I hope she meant it in a good way!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe she was inferring that you are big and hairy, steal their food and terrorize their children?

4:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoying reading your diary.Keep it going & keep warm.

5:43 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

Thanks, It is getting warmer and maybe I'll even see a bit of spring before I leave!

9:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home