Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Old Russian Proverb

The Russians know how it is, they endure long and bitterly cold winters, they suffered for years at the hands of political tyrants, they philosophise over the hardships of life and love, which may be why they have such pessimistic proverbs: example one, Love is evil, you may even fall in love with a goat.
Remember that kids. Next time you're walking in the country don't catch the eye of that sexy local goat you might just be lured in by the magenitism of it's eyes.

Talking of evil and love; Rasputin, I discovered from my Lonely Planet guide to Russia, was born just up the road in a small village called Pokrovskoe. When I had asked my colleagues about him all they had managed to inform me on was the Boney M song - Ra Ra Rasputin, lover of the Russian Queen. The words of which I had never known, so you learn something new everyday.

It is getting more and more dangerous outside as the ice gets, uh, icier and I run even higher risk of falling on my arse. Yesterday I did a straight-out-of-a-cartoon slip where I think I actually ran backwards on the spot for a couple of seconds before finally thumping to the ground. I've even given up trying to look dignified after a fall, y'know instead of getting up and pretending it didn't happen and just carrying on quickly, I now shout loudly and then insult the ice before grumpily continuing on my way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rasputin wasn't evil! he was just misunderstood because of his mystic and religious beliefs. And he may have had a small part in the downfall of the Empire.

1:35 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

Yeah I didn't think he was that bad, but folks round here frown when they hear his name. He must have done something wrong!

4:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it's cos he left them to go travelling? and then when he came back he went to St Petersberg not back home?

5:53 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

Who is the Rasputin obsessive? Is that you Brother Nick? Reveal yourself!

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did you know it was me?
I didn't even mention you being grumpy?!

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home