Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Page after page of sniping rage

Weather update - cold but sunny no mud underfoot but still piles of dirty snow at side of road, watch out for the ice kids (and unknowing foreigners), it'll take you by surprise

Music update - still rubbish, have to listen to mp3 to remind myself that I'm not dead and in music hell

Friend count - increasing. I have been invited to dinner on friday night by one of the teachers (yes 8 weeks into my stay they suddenly decide to become hospitable!) I'm slightly concerned as said teacher is often pretty vocal about her hostility towards people who aren't what she considers to be 'normal'. I explained to them all (teachers) recently that quite a few of our television presenters in Britain were 'very nice men' and it sparked a discussion in which I was the sole defender of homosexuality in a room full of homophobic Russians. Now I never thought I'd see myself doing that. I lost of course, I was unable to convince them through the power of discourse that to be 'normal' doesn't necessarily mean white, straight and Russian. It's all good though, to mix with people who hold different views to your own, to debate and discuss in a civilized manner. It'll be like Sartre and Camus. The Phenomenology bouncing off the walls!

I also find, in these circumstances, that not only do I defend the 'other' to the Russian's idea of normal, but I defend Britain for it's clearly more liberal values and it's forward thinkingness. I sit amongst these people, who are educated people, and I feel like we are sitting in another time: in the west of Europe it's 2006 but here in this unremarkable town that exists only to people who have been to it (or know someone in it), it's, well it's a differnt world not just a different time. It's definitely NOT Chicco time!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

unfortunately, it's still chico time here - TWO weeks at number 1 now!!
think i would prefer Russian and it's olde worlde views!

3:38 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

I hope he hangs on in there for another 5 weeks so I can witness the glory of his success

8:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just cos you're miserable, there's no need to ruin it for the rest of us!
(Joke)

9:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Kloot on Russian TV this weekend, and playing a gig in St Petersburg, if you can get there! Hop on a train maybe? Must only be a couple thousand miles or so!

9:25 pm  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

What Russian TV - find out the channel! I'd love to go and see them in St Petersburg but it would take a week to get there and cost me a months wages!!

9:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i thought as much!
will ask what TV it is and get back to you...

4:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home